Raise the banner! The Girls’ Track and Field team had a historic spring season this year. Between winning the New England Championships, also known as NEPSTA Division 2 Championship, and breaking numerous school records every weekend, there was no shortage of accomplishments to celebrate.
According to Coach Christopher Adams, “A combination of seven girls have broken five different school records this spring, and only one is a senior and one is a junior. There is a lot of excitement on the Girls’ squad, and with such a young team, records should continue to fall.”
Until next season, here are some highlights from Spring 2022 courtesy of Coach Adams:
- April 23, 2022: Girls’ Track took a close third place, as the sprinters continue to shatter records. Ayla Sahin ’24 set two individual school records in the 100m and the 100m Hurdles, and joined Cate Parks ‘23, Ava Lomberto ’24 and Sarah Adams ‘24 for an impressive record shattering 4x100.
- April 30, 2022: Both the Girls’ and the Boys’ Teams 4x100 school records fell as Cate Parks, Sophia Mashaal ‘22, Ayla Sahin and Sarah Adams ran away from Milton, Middlesex, Rivers, and Groton for a big win. The Boys 4x100 relay team of Keenan Dewberry ‘24, Belal Kadry ’23, Victor Xu ’23 and Flynt Whitworth ’23 ran 44.09 for the win and the school record. Ninth Grader Claire Chace ’25 broke Jess Metzger’s 1998 school record running 48.42 for the 300m Hurdles and winning by almost 4 seconds.
- May 7, 2022: The Girls’ Team broke their 5th school record of the season, this time in in the 4 x 400m relay. The team of Claire Chace (64.8), Cate Parks (65.8), Ava Lomberto (65.7) and Evi Robb ’25 (65.8) took 4 seconds off the school record, which was the oldest for the school set back in 1991. That’s a team of two ninth graders, a sophomore, and a junior.
- May 14, 2022: Girls’ Track took 2nd place in the ISL championship today with five new school records. 4x100 relay with Cate Parks, Sophia Mashaal, Ava Lomberto and Sarah Adams. Ayla Sahin in the 100m Hurdles, Claire Chase in the 300m Hurdles, Sophia Mashaal in the Long Jump winning by almost a foot today, and the 4x400 relay of Claire Chase, Cate Parks, Ava Lomberto and Evi Robb by 6 seconds. The Boys’ Team broke their 4x100 school record by .03 seconds winning in a photo finish.
- May 21, 2022: The Girls’ Track Team scored a big 24-point win today at Governors Academy, with just one individual win from Bradley Weldon ‘23 in the 3000. Weldon also took the silver in the 1500. The Girls’ 4x100, Cate Parks, Sophia Mashaal, Ava Lomberto and Sarah Adams, started the day with the only other first place for Tabor Academy. Ayla Sahin was our top scorer with three second place finishes in the 100, 100 Hurdles and 200. Sophia Mashaal was 2nd in the long jump with another school record. Claire Chace, Cate Parks, Ava Lomberto and Evi Robb broke the school record again in the 4x400 for a second-place finish, with Evi Robb blazing the anchor leg in 61.7 seconds. It was a real team effort with Claire Chase (2nd 300H), Ashley Sink (3rd 3000) and Nicole Joffe (2nd HJ) also adding important points to the team score.